I did some digging around and found out some interesting facts about Steinbeck’s The Grapes of Wrath…
1. Steinbeck’s novel was banned in Kansas for indecent content. It was also banned in Kern County, California, a place actually referenced by Steinbeck in the book. Some Kern residents didn’t feel that they were portrayed in the best light. Go figure.
2. The book was also banned abroad. Stalin banned the book in 1940 in the USSR as it showed even the poorest of Americans being able to buy a car.
3. The Grapes of Wrath was turned into a black and white movie in 1940.It’s budget was $750,000 and was shot in 7 weeks. The director of the film also decided to ban perfume and makeup from the set.
4. After The Grapes of Wrath movie became such a success, directors and producers toyed with the idea of creating a sequel called ‘Highway 66’. This, by the way, was supposed to be the name of the first movie.
5. Lastly, John Steinbeck sold the rights for The Grapes of Wrath for $100,000. Big bucks back in those days.
Do you know any interesting facts about The Grapes of Wrath? Please let me know! Remember to share the reading love.
Great facts, just finished the book recently. Nice post!